The hustle and bustle of everyday life make it easy to get what’s going on behind the scenes. The mechanics behind your HVAC system likely aren’t top of mind for you, but they are for our team at Deljo Heating & Cooling.
Your HVAC system plays a crucial part in the comfort of everywhere you go. Your home, your place of business, restaurants, stores and anywhere else you go need to be properly heated and cooled throughout the year to create an environment that is not only tolerable but comfortable as well. Typically, HVAC services are taken for granted, and it is not until an issue arises that you realize action needs to be taken. This is where our team at Deljo Heating & Cooling comes into play! Rely on us for all of your cooling and furnace repair services in the Chicagoland area.
If you notice that a facet of your HVAC system is not working like it once was, it is important to call on our professionals so they can nip the problem in the bud. We can help determine if your system has any life left, or if getting a full system replacement is more beneficial in the long run.
How Long do HVAC Systems Last?
Nothing lasts forever, and HVAC systems are no exception. The right maintenance schedule performed by a trustworthy team can help extend the life of your system, but it will need to be replaced at some point. On average, most HVAC components last anywhere from 15-25 years. More specifically, furnaces usually last for 15-20 years, heat pumps last for roughly 16 years, and air conditioning units last for 10-15 years.
Qualifications for HVAC Repairs
HVAC repairs are ideal if your system itself isn’t old and only certain parts of it need to be fixed. Repairs are not as expensive as full replacements and they can help your system become functional once again. Some signs that air conditioning or furnace repair service in Chicago is necessary are very apparent, but some you may not notice unless you get a professional opinion.
Signs You Need an HVAC System Repair
Be aware of these telltale signs that your HVAC system needs to be repaired.
- Inconsistent air flow: If you walk into your home or apartment after a long day of work and it feels stuffy, this is likely a sign that your ducts are producing weak air flow. If you ignore this problem, it will likely only get worse with time.
- Foul smells: A consistent foul smell coming from your HVAC system could be a sign that mold or fungus is growing on the compressor. As a result, you may be inhaling dangerous toxins. Our team can thoroughly clean your system so the fungus and smells disappear, instantly improving the health of the household.
- Odd noises: Grinding or squealing noises coming from your HVAC system could be a sign that a belt has been misplaced from the proper position or that extra lubrication is necessary. Our team is happy to help come and inspect your system to see where the noise is coming from and make any repairs as necessary.
Replacing Your HVAC System
In some instances, replacing your HVAC system altogether is a better decision than making repairs, including:
- Your system is older than 10 years: As a general rule of thumb, if your system is older than 10 years, it makes more sense to put money into a new system altogether rather than trying to fix current repairs.
- The repairs cost more than half of a new system altogether: Dumping money into your current HVAC system only makes sense if the repairs are less than half of what it would cost to put in a new system. Otherwise, it will be a waste of money in the long-run.
- Increasing energy bills: Pay attention to your monthly energy bills. They should be roughly the same every month. If you notice a large increase this could be a sign that an HVAC replacement is ideal, as your system is working harder to keep temperatures the same. A new system can cut down on your energy bills by as much as 20 percent!
- Your home is never comfortable: There’s nothing worse than being too hot or too cold in your own living space. This may be the result of a damaged thermostat, fluid levels that are low, cracked ducts, or motors that have been seriously damaged.
- Your home is dustier than normal: One key role that your HVAC system plays is ventilation. An efficient HVAC system can help improve your indoor air quality by removing dust, dander, dirt and other debris particles. An increased amount of dust in your home is likely a result of an inefficient HVAC system.
If you have doubts or questions about the efficiency of your HVAC system, please contact our team at Deljo Heating & Cooling. We are happy to provide quality cooling and heating repair services in Chicago, Il and the surrounding areas. Schedule an appointment or contact us today at 773-829-4295.